Monday, February 11, 2008

WSC34 - Sew Happy, Thank You!

Can you believe I actually sewed on a card?

Okay, so I tried this before... sometime last year. It was an utter mess.
The thread bunched up underneath the cardstock and I could not stitch a straight line. It was frustrating to say the least! I took my sewing machine to a sewing store and made the manager behind the counter thread the darn thing while my two boys threatened to take apart his store. This was after five minutes of him telling me how he didn't carry that particular machine (like it was SUCH a bad thing) and wouldn't be able to help me out unless I took a class at the store. LOL! Anyways, it got done and when I made it home, I put the sewing machine away.

Well today, I took it out again. This time, it was a success!

Beate's Weekend Sketch Challenge #34

Photobucket

Stamps: Spring Solitude
Cardstock: Almost Amethyst
Designer Series Paper: Afternoon Tea *
Ink: Almost Amethyst Classic, Whisper White Craft
Ribbon: Chocolate Chip Poly-Twill *
Other: Write-on Transparency, Detail Embossing Powder, Sponge dauber, Stampin' Dimensionals

*Available in Occasions Mini Collections Catalog on March 1st

I stamped the little bird and twig in Whisper White Craft ink on transparency and sewed that onto the DSP before using Stampin' Dimensionals to mount it over the card. It is faint and hard to see, but on one side of the card, I stamped the outline flowers from the Spring Solitude stamp set in Whisper White Craft ink and embossed it with Detail Embossing powder. I discovered how to adjust the settings on my sewing machine to do straight stitching and to do a zigzag pattern so I tried both on this card.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, I love all the sewing on your card and the soft colors!
Thanks so much for playing with the sketch!
Hugs and smiles

Joni M said...

You know how much I love sewing on cards and LOs. Your card looks FAB! Congrats on getting the machine to work!

Toni said...

I think that effect is pretty powerful, adds to that homegrown feeling. The card is soft and inviting, I love the bird!

Jamie Martin said...

Very pretty card, the colors work beautifully together :)

SBS-Sister

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! You never cease to amaze me.

Carla said...

You rocked, the sewing, girl! And the card is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with AA!!

Anonymous said...

yea you did it!! now you have to let me know how!! ;) he he!!

StinkerbellSteph said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It's soft & pretty. I would've never put this together so elegantly! Bravo!

Carla said...

Great sewing Jane! The card turned out beautifully! I need to dig my machine out and join the challenge!