Saturday, February 07, 2009

Pop up gift card holder tutorial

This type of gift card holder was the one I had out as a Make & Take at Memories Live On in December. I received an email from a customer who had attended, asking me for a template. There is no template for this gift card holder so I decided to create a tutorial for her... and for you. Please keep in mind that this type of gift card holder has been "out there" for a couple of year now and there are many online tutorials on it. I learned how to make this on SCS and do not know who actually created it first.

Let's get started!

Start with a piece of cardstock trimmed to 4-1/4" x 11"
Score it at 3", 5-1/2" and 8".

Photobucket

Fold your scored cardstock in half at 5-1/2"

Photobucket

Fold one end at 3" up and over the middle

Photobucket

Flip over and fold the other side in the same way

Photobucket

Open up and grab the inside fold.
You should be able to see the gift card holder starting to form.

Photobucket

You will need the Word Window punch to create the slot across the middle center for your gift card. The 1-3/8" circle punch is optional.

Photobucket

Take the Word Window punch and start at one end of the inside of your gift card holder.

Start about a 1/4" in from the end and punch once.
Move the punch over until you are 1/4" in from the other end.
Punch.

My sample shows that I started in a lot more than usual. I went back after taking the pictures and punched off a little more from each end because my gift card could not fit into the slot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Again... 1-3/8" circle punch is optional.
If you choose to use it, this is what it looks like:

Photobucket

After you are done punching, it should look like this:
Photobucket


I like to stamp first and then I add my sticky strip tape in the very middle of the gift card holder.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Add the gift card and tie it closed with a ribbon or use a scrap of 1" x 12" cardstock to create a wrap around the gift card holder.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now you try it!
Let me know if you have any questions!

~ Jane

19 comments:

Lorie said...

Great tut Jane! I've made those before and you are right...they are easy! :o)

~amy~ said...

Fabulous Jane....Love what you've done!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jane, it is just what I was wanted. to make. The tutorial was very easy to follow! Great Job.

Joni M said...

I have never seen this before! It's soooo cute! I'm definitely going to use this idea... I send gift cards a lot!

Teri said...

Love your tutorial! I love that stamp set too!! TFS!

Theresa Momber said...

Wonderful tutorial, Jane! Love your GC holder!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Really cool!!! Thanks for sharing!

:-)

StinkerbellSteph said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! What a wonderful way to present a gift card!

Anthonette said...

Hi Jane! What a great tutorial. I love this type of gift card holder. Thanks for all the details.

Christi said...

this is amazing! What a fantastic tutorial, Jane! Thank you!!! smiles...

BTW, I love your music too!

Monica said...

Brilliant! I have enjoyed viewing your blog! Your tutorials are awesome, detailed, & are easy to follow! Thank you!

PENNYLYN said...

Thanks for the tutorial...I just received this stamp set today, and I can't wait to use it! Keep on blogging!!

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

Alex said...

Aww, this is great, I want to make one!

Thanks for sharing :)

Alex from England x

eryn hannig said...

i LOVE this gift card holder! thanks so much for the tutorial...glad I found it. :)

chaun said...

I was surfing the web looking for a pop up gift card tutorial and yours is just perfect. My father-in-law eats at Dairy Queen a LOT, so he's getting a hefty gift card from there. The little holder it came in looked cheesy, so I'm going to knock his socks off with one similar to yours.
I will make it Chistmasy. Thanks so much for a great tutorial with great photos and directions. I have that stamp set too, so will use it in the future.

liannallama said...

awesome holder! Thanks for the tutorial!

jordiegirl said...

Popped by from Reasonably Priced Ribbon to read this - what a brilliant idea for a gift card holder. I'll be having a go at making one.

Unknown said...

I love this idea! So sweet and simple. Thanks for sharing!